Friday, October 2, 2009

Up to Speed and Coming Clean

Up to Speed and Coming Clean


To make this a really effective blog, I’m going to have to come clean. Now, you are more than encouraged to comment about my writing style, but DO NOT comment about my size.


Anyway, I signed up for Weight Watchers on September 13, 2009. At my first weigh-in, I weighed 266.6 pounds. I wear a size 24 pant and dress, and a size 22 top. Phew! That was the hardest thing I have ever had to write!


On my second week I weighed 273.0 which is a gain of 6.4 pounds. Devastation came directly upon sitting in my seat waiting for the meeting to begin. I was not completely discouraged, and eventually became encouraged to succeed. You will notice that you cannot keep me down. I’m like a cork. You can hold me under for a second, but eventually I float back up to the top.


The third week was wonderful with a loss of 8.6 pounds to bring me down to 264.4. Woo Hoo and a big Yeah! It wasn’t hard. I mainly counted my points and went to the gym three days in a row where I did the elliptical machine for 30 minutes. I started to wonder, can WW really be that easy?


The fourth week brought my Aunt Flow for a visit and I gained .4 pounds which brought me up to 264.4. I wasn’t discouraged, because I knew Flow would do that to me.


The fifth week was awful. When I stepped on the scale the lady behind the big wall that hides my weight from wandering eyes said I had lost 5 pounds. I couldn’t believe it! I knew that I had a difficult week getting my groove on. I didn’t go to the gym and did some self-sabotaging things (I’ll get to those later). But, the scale doesn’t lie. I told everyone in the meeting and I got a star and a, “Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!” from the leader. Apparently, that is her trademark holler. When I got home and sat down to my lunch of 2 cups of homemade baked potato soup (I couldn’t stop at one cup because it was just so yummy!) I looked closely at my numbers. All I could think was, the scale doesn’t lie, but the lady behind the counter sure did! I had actually gained 5 pounds. She did the math wrong.


But, ever moving forward, here I sit writing to the vast space of the internet half hoping someone will read this and more than half hoping no one will, at a lovely weight of 269.8.


Now, I have come clean and put it all on the table. I am completely exposed. I have brought you up to speed and turned myself inside out. I don’t feel vulnerable or bad about myself, but I don’t feel great either. It’s a process, a journey (what a once wonderful metaphor and now an over used cliché). WW is easy. Consistently overcoming myself is going to be hard.

Here's a before pic of me, from the back. I really hate getting my picture taken so I duck if I see someone coming with a camera, but my sneaky daughter knows that I don't really have eyes in the back of my head.


2 comments:

  1. Losing weight is the absolute hardest thing I've ever had to do. I'm not naturally thin, I'm naturally hungry and always find myself rationalizing my decisions (I ONLY had cereal for breakfast so an extra thick 'n creamy fluffernutter sandwich is OK for a mid-morning snack). Finding something you love to do is critical in the process. If it's not the eliptical, try the treadmill... not that? try a group fitness class. Enlist the support of a trainer and NEVER miss your appointment. I lost 80 pounds in the pool. Some poor janitor had to skim my fat off the top. You can do this - for no one else, but because you know you can. Achievement never tasted so good.

    ReplyDelete